There are many people who are looking to start a blog online. It may be related to several niche like gaming, politics, movie, business, internet marketing, money, reviews and lots more. There are many people around the world that are experts in their particular fields, and looking to share their knowledge and experience to the world. But to share information online you will need a web platform. Blogging is not just about sharing information, but you can even earn money from blog by monetizing it. There are multiple platforms available online through which you can make money online from your blog. But before that first i will help you to know how to start a blog online. Below techniques which i am going to share will help you to start a blog hassle free. Thing you should know before starting a blog online.
Follow Below Steps To Start a Blog
- Finding a proper domain name
- Choosing quality web hosting
- Choosing niche
- Installing wordpress using softaculous
- Installing wordpress theme
- Installing important wordpress plugins
- Submitting your website to Google search console
- Integrate Google analytics code
- Create robots.txt file & sitemap
- Creating social pages online
Finding a Proper Domain Name
Finding right name for your blog is the most important thing to start. The domain name should be easy to type and remember. I have seen lots of people making mistakes while choosing domain name. Most of them do mistake like, keeping the domain name long and complex. It will be hard for your users to remember your domain name and mostly long and complex domain name are not good for any kind of online site. So note that you have to keep it short and simple so users can remember it easily.
Even you can use a keyword in your domain name, also it will be helpful to increase search engine ranking in Google and other search engines. Using keyword based domain name is not only good for ranking purpose but it also make more sense to your users. Never use numbers or hyphens in your domain name, mostly this type of domain are treated lower in search engine ranking and it can even confuse your users.
To get more domain name opportunity you can even create a list of names. Share the list of domain name with your family and friends to find best name that will sounds appealing and make sense to your online site according to niche. Even you sort out domain name by yourself which sounds good to you.
After sorting out domain name you have to finalize desired extension type like .com, .net, .org, .biz and more. You can choose out extension type according to your choose. For blog i recommend you to go with .com or .net as these are most popular desired extension. But first try to look out for .com one, if the extension is not available you can choose out other extension type. Below i am sharing top 5 domain registration sites where you can register you domain and get maximum amount of discount on your first purchase.
Domain Registration Sites
Choosing Quality Web Hosting
Quality web hosting is important factor for your online business. Guys if you’re starting a fresh blog and u don’t want to face any downtime and server issue then choose hosting wisely. You can refer my article on top 5 web hosting sites for your online business. In this article i have explained in detailed why it is important to choose quality hosting for your website. Even i have mentioned hosting plans and their reviews in depth so you can choose out hosting wisely. When i started Myinfostake.com i choose a starter plan on Hostingraja. After increasing traffic i moved to Hostgator. As per start-up don’t spend too much amount on hosting. Choose a starter plan and after increasing traffic you can go with much bigger and reliable plan. Even there are some free hosting sites where you can host your website for free without paying anything. So choose such type of hosting that will sustain your website visitors online with no downtime or server lags. Below i am sharing list of 5 best hosting companies.
Web Hosting Sites
I think most of you have already chosen niche on which you are going to blog online. You need to find that niche where you are interested to share information on topic you love. Niche plays a crucial role in website ranking in search engine. You can target tons of traffic online to your niche website. If you are planning to start micro niche site, do research on web before go forward. Also check that is there any type of information limitation in your niche, because if your primary revenue platform is Google Adsense then you should also checkout cpc rate what advertiser is willing to pay in your niche. To check out the cpc rate you can use Google keyword planner. So study well and do some research on that niche before proceeding further.
Installing WordPress Using Softaculous
When you purchase hosting you will receive mail from hosting regarding nameservers. Login into domain registration site from where you bought your domain name and go into dns settings. Update hosting nameservers in your account. After updating nameservers it take upto 24 hours or less than that to propagate. It is really easy to install wordpress and start a blog using softaculous. Softaculous is used by web hosting industry that allows you to install any application by the click of a button. Through this software you can setup any platform you want for your site for example: WordPress, Opencart, Joomla and more. So let’s start with installing wordpress to setup a blog by using softaculous installer. Follow below steps to install wordpress.
- You need to login to your cpanel account.
- Once you logged in you’re account you will be landed on homescreen of cpanel. After that you have to scroll down and check software services section in Cpanel.
- In software services section click on softaculous button.
- After landing on softaculous section you can see top applications like WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, Opencart, Prestashop and more. Click on wordpress install button to setup a blog.
- After that you will land on wordpress installation page. You can choose protocol like – Http, Http://www., Https & Https://www. Go ahead with Http if you don’t know much more about it, even i have installed with same protocol (Http) for Myinfostake.
- Next you have to choose domain to setup wordpress.
- In next section there is directory, leave that field blank and move ahead.
- Next you will be asked to set database name. If you want to name your database then you can set on your own else leave it blank.
- Leave the table prefix by default.
- Now in site setting there will be two fields called site name and description. In site name field input your site name, and in description field you can explain in short what your site is about. Below that you will find option like enable multi sites option, leave that field blank.
- Next fill admin details like username and password. Keep strong username and password for your wordpress admin panel. Below that there will be admin email address, you can even set your custom email address if you want.
- Below that you will be asked to choose language. By default English is been set. If you want another language to be set you can select through that section.
- Next is limit login attempts, by clicking on checkbox you can limit unwanted login attempts to your admin panel account.
- Next is advance setting, if you are looking to enable advance setting you can go ahead with it. Or leave it blank by default.
- After that you can hit on install button to setup wordpress site to start a blog.
- After successful installation of wordpress you will be updated with the domain address and admin address url. You can click on domain address to check your site. Even you can go to admin panel by clicking on admin address url.
Installing WordPress Theme
It is really easy to install a wordpress theme on your blog. Below i have shared some steps to install wordpress theme on your blog. But before going ahead instead of using free wordpress theme i urge you to use paid theme. Paid themes are well coded and seo optimized that will improve your site traffic day by day. You can buy seo optimized and well coded theme by clicking on below links.
Steps To Setup WordPress Theme
- Login to your wordpress admin panel
- In the left hand side menu options click on Appearance > Themes
- Here in theme option you can see default theme. Above that click on Add new button.
- Next you can select and install free theme that you like. To check hundreds of free themes go to popular menu where you can find multiple types of themes for your blog.
- If you’re looking to upload premium (paid) theme then in “Add Themes” click on upload theme button.
- Choose a theme from your computer and click on install button.
- Next you can activate paid theme by clicking on activate link.
Installing Important WordPress Plugins
Plugins are most important part to run your wordpress blog smoothly and efficiently. Below i am going to share some important plugins that you can install in your blog.
- Akismet – This plugins has protected millions of website from spam.
- Email Subscribers & Newsletters – Through this plugin you can add subscription forms on your website easily. Automatic notification sent to subscribers with HTML newsletters.
- External Links – Through this plugins you can mark all outbound links as a nofollow.
- Genesis Simple Edits (If your install genesis framework) – With this plugins you can easily modify 3 important parts in your genesis theme that is post-meta, post-info and footer area.
- Jetpack By WordPress – Jetpack enables you to connect your blog to wordpress.com. In jetpack there are more than 30 small plugins. Mostly u will not require any other plugin when you install Jetpack.
- Quick Adsense – Through quick adsense plugin you can easily insert Google adsense ads or any types of ads in your wordpress website.
- Redirection – This redirection plugins manages 401 errors and 301 redirects.
- Wp Super Cache – It’s a very fast caching wordpress plugin
- Yoast Seo – Yoast is a best seo plugin that will improve your organic ranking of post and pages in search result. Plugin includes onpage content analysis, xml sitemap and much more.
Submitting Your Website To Google Search Console
It is essential to submit your website to Google search console to get your site indexed in search engine. Even through search console you can track all records of your site for example: site links (inbound & outbond), site health, errors, page crawling ratio, site indexing, and other issues. Even you can add sitemap link & robots.txt file in Google search console. To know more about steps to submit your website to search console click on below link.
Integrate Google Analytics Code
It is easy to integrate Google analytics code into your site to track all your website visitors. I will explain you steps to add site to Google analytics and get tracking code. Sign into Google analytics account to add your site. After that you have to add your website name. Below that they will ask you to submit your website url, copy and paste website url in text box. Next choose category of your website. After that set reporting time zone of analytics account according to your country time. At last you have to add account name and click on get tracking Id. Next Google analytics service agreement will pop up, you can read it if you want and proceed further and click on “I agree”. After that you will be redirected to tracking page option where you can copy that code and paste it into your website.
Creating Robots.Txt File & Sitemap
Most of newbies don’t know how to create right robots.txt file for their new blog. You can check Myinfostake.com robots.txt file by clicking on below link for reference.
Sitemap: When you install yoast plugin by default your sitemap is created. You also need to configure your sitemap by going to yoast sitemap settings in wordpress admin panel. Follow below steps to configure yoast sitemap.
- Log in into your wp admin
- In left menu go to yoast plugin and click on xml sitemap option
- Now go to post type and include posts and pages in sitemap. Media should be kept in (not in sitemap). Click on save changes.
- Next Go to taxonomies settings and include categories and tags in (not in sitemap) and at last click on save changes button.
Note: Also submit your sitemap in webmaster tools
Creating Social Pages
After configuring your website you can create social pages on FB, G+, Twitter and more.
So guys this was the in detailed steps that i have shared with you to start a blog online. If u need any kind of help you can drop me mail or comment below. I will help you out with your issue. If you like this article share it on Fb, G+ and Twitter.